Joycelyn Woods, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Roxanne Baker, President, email@example.com
February 15, 2010
Nominations Open for the Richard Lane/Robert Holden Methadone Advocacy Award
Richard Lane was a long-term heroin user who, upon release from prison in 1967, was instrumental in establishing one of the Nation’s first methadone treatment programs. In 1974, he became the Executive Director of Man Alive and later served as Vice President of the American Methadone Treatment Association and as Vice Chairman of the Governor’s Council on Alcohol and Drug Abuse in Maryland. Mr. Lane was a passionate advocate for methadone treatment and, by disclosing his own treatment experiences, provided inspiration to patients and colleagues alike.
Robert Holden was also a recovering heroin user, who later became the Director of PIDARC, an outpatient methadone treatment program in the District of Columbia. He was a friend of Richard Lane and succeeded Richard Lane’s term of office as the Vice President of the American Association for the Treatment of Opioid Dependence. This award was established in 1995 and recognizes extraordinary achievements in patient advocacy.
The following criteria should be applied in making your selection:
- Only one (1) nominee can be submitted to the Conference Awards Committee. There may be a number of nominees, however only one (1) “consensus” nominee may receive this honor.
- The nominee must have been involved in the field of methadone advocacy for a period of five (5) years.
- The nominee must have been actively engaged in methadone advocacy for a period of five (5) years.
- The nominee must have made meaningful and consistent contributions, which have had a significant impact on opioid treatment within a state or region of the United States.
- For each nominee a Nomination Form must be completed and submitted with two (2) Letters of Support. The Nomination Form is attached to this announcement and can also be downloaded from the NAMA Recovery website http://www.methadone.org/.
- Additional information about the award can be found at the NAMA Recovery website http://www.methadone.org/richard_lane.html.
- NAMA Recovery will be responsible for collecting all the submissions for nomination, selecting a committee of advocates that will decide on the final candidate. The Candidate’s Name, Nomination Form and at least two (2) Letters of Support describing the nominee’s achievements will be submitted to the Awards Committee for the final approval.
- The Deadline for Submission is February 26, 2010. The completed Nomination Form along with at least two (2) Letters of Support should be sent to Joycelyn Woods at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous Winners of the Award
2001, St. Louis Joycelyn Woods
2007, Atlanta Anthony Scro
2009, New York Walter Ginter
This Award will be bestowed upon the recipient during the Awards Banquet Ceremony of October 26,2010 during AATOD's next National Conference which will convene in Chicago at the Hilton Hotel.
The recipient will be provided with a roundtrip Coach Class airfare in addition to up to two (2) nights in the hotel. The individual will also be able to attend the Conference.
Deadline: Wednesday, February 26, 2010
Email Nominations To: email@example.com
If you have any questions about the award contact Joycelyn Woods at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (718) 993-3397.